Monday, November 30, 2009

Cross


Yay! Brand new photo! I took this today, actually. It's of his "figure eight" noseband, usually used for jumpers/eventers as it goes from the cheek bone, over the nose, then around the mouth in front of the bit--allowing for better control and to keep a horse from opening his mouth (to evade the bit, which can result in them biting their tongue), though I do think it tends to be more comfortable for them to wear, if you keep the strap loosely snug around the mouth.

I had a really nice time out with the hooved baby. Spent a long time brushing him, which he always appreciates, and did some joint yoga for him. It's kind of like acupressure meets energy work and trigger point massage. Very awesome, and I've found that it works wonders! The horsie chiropractor showed me two techniques for loosening his lower back and alleviating lower back pain and stiffness (which he gets big time and leads to his hips getting "out"). So, I requested her book through the library--Joint Yoga for Animals by Dr. Julie Kaufman. It goes through main points for horses, dogs, and yes, even cats, with nice photos. Anyway.

After all the brushing, I completely confused Toler by putting his bridle on (no saddle) and taking him up to the arena just to stand looking out the door while I took pictures. For your contextual appreciation, Toler *LOVES* looking out the side door. He'd stand there with his head over the gate, staring, all day if he could. Well, hay would be nice, of course. ;) I had to drag him away from the gate to get on him bareback just to take more pictures by the gate (needed to try new angles).

"What is this crazy two-legger doing to me now?" was his only remark during the proceedings--and you could totally see it in his deep brown eyes and half-cocked ears.

After all of that, I free-lounged him around the arena (a long whip for rare, as-needed sound effects is all I really need--he listens to my voice and body very well). I've been taking it easy with riding lately, as he's been off with his left hip/leg. Not quite sure what it is, but I'm not taking any chances. Riding lightly every other day and simple play the rest of the time. I also had him go over a cavaletti pole (very small jump), which he seemed to enjoy.