Saturday, November 21, 2009

Bring on the wonder


Kind of in the vein of "Hinge of the Way," taken today. I was originally going to put this in grayscale, but I love the coppery color and marbled blue-and-white sky.

I had been thinking about why I'm so drawn to this kind of image lately...

It is said that every being knows parts of the world unknown to any other being. The child knows the house and town of his childhood like nobody else--all its secrets and tucked away places. Lovers map each others' bodies into whole worlds--while the one observes the look and feel of their curves, the other knows the body's every angle, its every facet, the very code of its sensations.

We all view the world in this fashion--while some places warn us away, others claim us. Every touch and smell and sound, every rock of our footsteps and consequence of our minds becomes a pigment in our landscape, a monument to our truest, deepest selves.

To love someone, something, is to know them like no one else in the universe knows them.

As artists, we not only create grains for our viewers' landscapes to absorb, but we put our own on display, as though a magnifying glass were fitted to the crevasses of our hearts and brains. To our souls. Thus, every artist shares what he or she loves, what he or she knows as no one else in the universe knows...

And so I photograph the world around me. And so I photograph what I hold most dearly to my Self--as though, by honoring every inch of his flesh, every inch that has colored my landscape so vibrantly, I can suspend thought. Suspend time.