Friday, June 5, 2009

Un Petit Prince


Taken May 10th, just a few hours after this little guy was born. I had my borrowed hasselblad out at the stable with me (attempting to take the initial photos for my project), but as I had planned to shoot outside I had it set for the sunlight and didn't think I'd need my "lightmeter" (I was using my dslr as a lightmeter). Big mistake. I walk into the barn to find my riding instructer/barn owner and a close boarding friend helping this little guy to stand and nurse (from a bottle). The mare had no milk and didn't want much to do with him. She didn't outright reject him, but she certainly doesn't care.



So, I took three rolls of film, all with different guesstimated settings, and only a roll and a half turned out (better than I thought). As far as I know he doesn't have a name yet, but he's positively the sweetest little colt. He had a rocky start--he got a substitute colastrum, and the next day had to go in to the horsie hospital where he spent a night. He's back with us now, and if you didn't know that he wasn't doing well in the strength department, you sure wouldn't be able to tell! He has another week to go before he makes it out the first-month woods, though, especially as he still refuses to drink his formula, despite nearly hourly attempts.

4 comments:

v said...

Beautiful pics always. Hope you have a cool party or something to celebrate the end of school. Captain Diet anyone?

Take care, friend! (:

Emma said...

Thanks Gran. And yes, believe me, there is going to be plenty of celebration this week. ;)

Anonymous said...

What a cutie! I hope he makes it. The pics show your talent, as they turned out very nice even with guestimate settings.

Emma said...

Thanks, Firle! =)