Sunday, February 7, 2010

Amaryllis


I'm sorry I've been away for like a week. I've been concentrating on writing and doing some drawing, plus my daily "required" reading (I hate having time limits like library due dates for reading). So, I haven't had a whole lot of time to work with photos. I have some new ones of my grandparents' gorgeous amaryllis from two weekends ago.

This shot, taken with my normal camera lens, was tweaked with GIMP. For those who don't know GIMP, it's a free program like photoshop. My own photoshop, which is widely outdated, has begun to do odd things. Namely not actually activating the tools I click on. It doesn't happen all the time, but, as my version of Photoshop was the original, I'm getting paranoid that it's becoming uncompatable with the system. (I suppose it was only a matter of time. ) However, like anyone can actually afford to get Photoshop these days? (Adobe, if you're reading this, there is no way you need ~600 dollars of profit from every program, list priced at 700 bucks.) So, long story short, I'm trying to get familiar with GIMP, which might be more of a pain than anything else in the world.

Anyway. So. This photo. I used a "lomo" script to simulate the look of a plastic/toy camera, just for kicks. Here's the original. The only thing I don't like about the lomo script is that it includes a slight blur mask, which means you lose that little bit of focus. Otherwise, it's kind of fun. =)