Friday, July 24, 2009

I Yi

The first image of my series. If you haven't yet, read my artist statement for Hinge of the Way.

I titled these images after I Ching guas, namely because I wanted titles that were completely detached from the content of the images, and secondly, I wanted titles that wouldn't outwardly add meaning or influence the viewer's perception of the images. Each title was randomly assigned, as well, so there wasn't any "hidden meaning" underlying the gua titling the image.

I also don't intend on discussing the individual images themselves much. Again, I want to let you create your own perceptual dialogue. I would be interested in hearing your takes or initial thoughts on the images, if you'd like to share, though! (I'll also answer questions, if you have them.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to let you create your own perceptual dialogue.

Bah! Artistic copout. Like bands who refuse to explain what their songs are about, or what their singers who mumble and slur are even saying. :P

That image looks very equine. There's a strong sense of life and potential power, waiting to be let loose.

Emma said...

Haha. Well, maybe it is. I don't really care. On the same light, it's sorta like songs that are in gibberish or languages you don't know--just because there isn't an offered concept or meaning, doesn't mean the listener can't find something of their own. That's usually the point.

Anyway, when I'm viewing art work or whatever, I usually don't care about the artist's own statement or intent (unless it's something that just doesn't work without the planted conceptual backing). I tend to view art in much the same way I read poetry or listen to instrumental music, so I have a tendency to shape my own work to be viewed in the same light. Whether or not other people view it that way is entirely their own prerogative.

I'm happy to hear your views, though. =)

v said...

I think of...power and strength. Reminds me a ripped body builder too. The vein says...stress or pressure.

Emma said...

Thanks, Gran