Thursday, July 23, 2009

Hoppland


Aha! A photo I give to thee!

Yes, indeed. I'm back up to posting speed. =) Soon I'll be posting images from my series Hinge of the Way, which I used for my photo final.

Anyway, this image was taken while walking on a trail off campus. Accompanied by two friends, I had hoped to find a subject to use for my final project--as this was a week or two before I came up with the original images that led to Hinge of the Way. I didn't find anything to make a series of for that project, but I did find a few niches of wild earth that, had I been a bit younger, I would have claimed as secret places to visit. This is one of those places.

I titled it "Hoppland," with a subtle referent nod to Sigur Ros' "Hopelandish"--a term they use to describe the made-up language featured in some of their songs. "Hopelandish," in a way, embodies all the fun, lighthearted things we make up as children, that spirit of imagination and magical exploration of the world and of life. So, by calling my image "Hoppland," I wanted to embody all the places we transformed or made up as children. Yeah, probably a lot of thought for a rather simple image. ;)

As to the photo itself, it was taken with the hasselblad, developed in the darkroom, and scanned. The scan turned up rather flat and--I think--blurry (the original image doesn't look so fuzzy up close), so I did do a little tweaking in Lightroom. I made the blacks blacker, and the whites whiter. =)