Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Movement of Souls



A painting! Acrylic on (hand-prepared) canvas. I don't technically have a title for this one yet. Anyway, I painted this last term in my first painting class. At the time I was really drawn to high-contrast form images, so I combined that with my concept--to depict the wholeness, or transcended state between horse and rider (what I believe dressage strives for).

It took me a loooong time to complete. I started off with a drawing that took me two-three days to complete, which I transferred onto the canvas with carbon paper. After that I did the shading in the horse and rider, painted the background dark gray, then added layer upon layer of color until it created a "black," leaving just enough streaked brush stroke to allow some color to show through. I did the white highlights in the horse and rider last. Despite the amount of tedious work, I really enjoyed working on this piece.

This photo doesn't really do the color justice--there is a strong prescence of green throughout, or a green/blue/teal tonality, but there is a lot more reds, oranges, and purples showing through than you can see. Oh well. Eventually I'll be able to take a better photo of it, I hope. (Especially as acrylic isn't very archival.)