Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dream of a Girl Inside (Underpainting)


The colors are a bit more red in the dark tones and a bit more gold in the medium tones than they should be--all I used was Raw Sienna and varying amounts of turpentine. But, oh well. Such is the price of digital copies.

I don't think I'm going to add many color glazes. The girl's shirt will be a light gray (with a *touch* of purple I think), her jeans will get a light wash of blue-gray, the horse will be bronze-red-brown like Toler, and the shadows and edges (for a lop-sided vignette-effect, really) will get a navy-black glaze. As for the woods themselves, I might just add a little white glaze over some small areas to give it a more "fogged" look, but other than that I really like the dreamy gold feel. I'm debating about adding very, VERY slight glazes of subtle color just to add a little depth, but I have no idea how that will turn out. Everything I do in terms of glazes will be pretty subtle, though. I really want to be a dreamscape, so it needs to have that diffuse, magical tone/feel to it. We'll see. Suggestions are more than welcome if anyone thinks of anything.