Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Herd Dynamics II



The next image in the series. When I first saw this image on my contact sheet, I didn't like it. I don't know why not, but it just didn't strike me. I printed it mostly because one of my photo profs, Julie, kept emphasizing how much she liked it. Since printing it, I've grown rather attached to it.

I had to do some careful split-filtering with it. The original had a much grayer shade to the surrounding snow and not much black, but a higher contrast filter just made it grainy and too black. So, I used a five-second exposure with an extremely high contrast filter and then switched to a low contrast filter for a longer exposure, during which I did a little bit of dodging on the right (Toler's) side for symmetrical tone. It was fun to do something moderately complicated, though. =)

Again, you can click on it to take you to a full-sized view.

2 comments:

Pan Historia said...

It's funny how, as artists, we often don't like something that really speaks to the viewer. This is one of my favorites of your series, and I really like all of them very much.

I'm glad it's growing on you too.

Wyatt at Pan Historia

StarStrider said...

Yeah, that is funny. I don't usually have that sort of difference in opinion, but every now and then I have to learn to appreciate something.

Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed them!